Mommy Troubles

8 comments
Ohmygosh guys.

I don't know if any of you are tired of hearing about my little family, but I have to talk about them today. I had something else lined up but the events that occurred last night are just too much to handle and I had to share them. As you all know by now, my hedgehogs are my babies, the loves of my life. We legit call them 'the babies' and they have their own room. I personally treat them as my children and worry and stress about them as if they are actual human babies. And technically Kol is a newborn because he is only 7 weeks and boy has he churned up some trouble in the little amount of time he's been with us.

I'm gonna start off with a cute photoshoot of each of them because I could not resist taking pictures outside in the front yard. You cannot say no to these faces.....you might after you hear the stories though.....
Little Milo, my first born. Such a daddy's boy, I swear! He was a good baby and loved to sleep. He still values his sleep and hates to be woken up, just like his punk ass father ;) The only bad quirk he has is if he really is that mad that you are bugging him while he's trying to catch some Zzzz's, little boy will nip at your finger. It's his way of saying 'back off bitch, I'm trying to sleep!' You gotta respect the hedge, though.
Ahhhh, Kol. My little ninja. For a newborn this boy has a huge personality. I'm not quite sure yet if that's a good thing or bad thing. He is super shy but can't help his curiosity to the point where he needs to go on adventures. Seriously, what a friggin handful this boy is. When he's shy he jumps. Yeah- jumps! And he makes these weird popping noises and just curls up in a little ball. But then when he's ready to explore you can't let him out of your sight, and we learned that the hard way....

Story time!

I have a Houdini Hedgie in my possession. 
I don't know how he does it, but he has already managed to escape 3 times- 2 last night! The day we brought him home we kept him in his carrier next to Milo's cage while we were entertaining friends. Later in the night everyone had to go to the bathroom at the same time cause, you know, beer will do that to you, and I had told one of our friends to use our bathroom. I'm glad he didn't. A couple of minutes later J walks into the living room with Kol in his hands. At first I was like 'uhh, why did you take him out'. J just looked at me and said 'I didn't. He was in the bathroom.' WHAT?! FYI- Our bathroom is down the hall and across our bedroom, the furthest distance from the room he was put in. Homeboy was on the move and we didn't even know it! I'm glad J doesn't get drunk easily because he could have stepped on the poor thing! So we put him in a box and that's where he's been until last night....


This is the new cage with a level built just for Kol. Let me start off by saying this was a bitch and a half to make and took me forever to build. Was there cursing involved? You bet your mama's sweet ass there was. Frustrating is an understatement. Anyway, note all the ugly tape everywhere. Wanna know why that's even there? I shall explain. When creating the liner you have to make sure there is a 3 inch border on each side for the walls. Well we did that and everything was good for the baby's first night in his new room. Apparently he didn't seem to agree.

I was major stressing because even though the cage is pretty sturdy I was convinced that while I was sleeping it would give in and drop on Milo. Not only that, but male hedgies are very territorial so they can't be housed together. If Kol were to somehow make his way in Milo's room....they would fight to the death. Yeah, you read that right. Those adorably innocent little creatures get violent if given the chance. I was laying in bed wide awake worried about my babies while J was sound asleep. Every time I heard the smallest noise I would get up and check in on them. Kol would be playing with his ball and Milo would be running on his wheel, stop, and look at me as if to say 'Moooooom, we're fine!'. That was at 12:35. I finally start to drift to sleep and I hear a noise-this time a rustling noise, and coming from inside MY room. I turn on the light and Kol is rummaging in J's Army uniform on the floor! How in the hell did he escape?! I freaked out and J instantly woke up, which I felt bad for. It was 1:42. Only took him an hour. Who knows- maybe he was there longer and I just didn't hear him!

My heart was pounding as the stress intensified. Was he still small enough to fit through the holes of the cage? And even if he was- that is a long drop to the floor from his level. I started panicking which turned into hyperventilating. There were leftover pieces from the liner so we made another 3 inch strip and taped it to the existing one, hoping that would prevent him from climbing through.

Annnnd cue this morning, and hour ago to be exact. J comes home from PT [physical training] and calls my name to wake me up. I look up and he's at the doorway holding Kol. My stomach drops. He says 'I went to check on him and an instinct told me not to step on the blanket that was lying on the floor. I shook it and Kol rolled out.' You have got to be kidding me. He escaped AGAIN?! How in the fuck is he doing this?! We put up another barrier and still he got out. Is he full on scaling the entire cage panel to get out? I shudder to think of the drop he keeps having to make to get to the floor. And who knows how long he was in that blanket for!


I actually just stopped typing to take that picture. I went to make sure the little escape artist was still in his igloo. I'm pretty sure he's not going to try anything during the day since they are nocturnal, but that doesn't make me feel any better. Knowing he does most of his activity while I'm sleeping is enough to stress me out today. I have no idea what to do. Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!

Wish me luck!

 photo signature-19.png
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

8 comments

  1. Omg these guys are adorable.
    The Hubby and I have been considering becoming parents to a cutie like these. Is there any helpful tips you may have for us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Boy! We have had a similar problem with our red earred slider turtle... She like to break out of her 75 gallon aquarium through her basking area....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh!!! That is insane. You need to get one of those camera baby monitors to see how he does it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww! The things we go through for our furbabies. Sorry you're having troubles, but glad to see I'm not the only one who feels like the world is ending when all is not right in pet world. He must be climbing the cage! Can you put a top on it? Or maybe a see-through net so it's not so restrictive? Or maybe even a hidden camera so we can see what the hell he's doing haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my lanta!!! what are you gonna do?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, was a little sneak! It's no fun stressing over your creature babies. Hope you figure out his tricks soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would get a baby camera to see how Kol is escaping. then maybe you can fix the problem, MAYBE wow. lots of stress...poor girl, i am loving reading about them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh! Looks at those little cuties, how adorable!


    Your newest subscriber,


    Brooke =)

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from you lovelies! It makes my heart flutter knowing I am loved so expect a reply!

BLOG TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig